May is Arthritis Awareness month. “Expanding waistlines, inactivity and an aging population are contributing toward an arthritis epidemic that will impact the lives and wallets of all Americans. Already the nation’s most common cause of disability, the impact of the disease is yet to be realized. Nearly one in five U.S. adults (46 million people) has arthritis and an estimated 67 million people will be affected by 2030.
Osteoarthritis (OA), the most common type of arthritis, currently affects nearly 27 million people in the U.S. Moreover, because of the link between osteoarthritis and inactivity, more than half of adults with diabetes or heart disease also have arthritis, and these numbers are expected to increase as rates of osteoarthritis skyrocket.
DID YOU KNOW:
* Arthritis is not only a disease that affects the elderly. Symptoms of osteoarthritis can begin as early as age 40 and progress slowly. Studies have shown curcumin to be an effective natural remedy for pain caused by arthritis. Much of the senior population suffering of arthritis could benefit from it, however, the powers that be are more focused on chemical solutions.
* Being overweight and physically inactive can increase your risk of developing osteoarthritis by two-thirds in your lifetime.
* Even small amounts of weight loss and physical activity can decrease the pain and disability of osteoarthritis.
* For every one pound of weight loss, there is a four-pound reduction in the load exerted on each knee.
* Physical activity keeps joints flexible and maintains or improves muscle strength.
* Osteoarthritis typically affects only certain joints, such as the hips, hands, knees, low back and neck.” (source fightarthritispain.org)
Healthy Moms, the Ad Council and the Arthritis Foundation want you to get involved by learning more about this condition and how you can fight your arthritis pain by visiting Fight Arthritis Pain.org. This fantastic resource provides a tool
for assessing your osteoarthritis risk, community support forums a local events calendar, and a movement tracker widget that can be shared on social networking sites and will help keep you on track as you try to move daily.
We are also giving away a “Moving is the Best Medicine Premium Package” to one lucky Healthy Moms reader. This package includes:
– a copy of Walk With Ease
– a DVD of Tai Chi For Arthritis
– a set of light dumbbells
– a coupon for Scrubbing Bubbles automatic shower cleaner
– Pilot Dr. Grip Pen
– Hefty 1 zip storage bag coupons
– Cardinal Easy Open Binders
All you need to do in order to enter is leave us a comment. This giveaway ends on June 6, 2010 at midnight PST.
For extra entries:
Subscribe to our Healthy Living Newsletter
Follow This blog with Google Friend Connect
E mail the link to our site or this contest to a friend (make sure you BCC talbertcascia @ yahoo dot com so I have proof of the e mail)
Join the Healthy Moms Network
Add Healthy Moms to your blogroll.
Blog about this contest. Make sure you include a link back.
For every entry including extra entries please leave a separate comment. Winners will be chosen randomly from the comments and e mails that I receive. The contest ends on June 6, 2010 at midnight PST.