Make Halloween this year fun and healthy with these nutritious recipes from Kretschmer. The “spooky” ingredient is wheat germ, an original superfood and excellent source of nutrients including vitamin E, the B vitamins, and folic acid packing big benefits in a small low calorie package. The subtle nutty crunch will please even the pickiest goblins and ghouls.
Caramel Apples with Wheat Germ
Bet you never thought wheat germ and Halloween would ever go together in a sentence. But they sure go together on caramel apples, a classic October 31 treat! Caramel-covered apples are sprinkled with a sweet and crunchy topping made with wheat germ and chopped chocolate-toffee bar pieces.
- Use the handy caramel apple kit found in the produce department, near the (you guessed it) apples. It is microwavable and heats up to just the right consistency (apple sticks are included). ·
- Then mix about 1/4 cup wheat germ (Kretschmer Original or Honey Crunch) with about 1/2 cup finely crumbled chocolate-toffee pieces for six apples. ·
- As soon as you’ve swirled the apples coat them immediately with the wheat germ-chocolate toffee bar mixture. Let the apples cool for about an hour. ·
While still a definite indulgence, these sprinkled caramel apples taste incredible and the crumbly topping provides a welcome layer of goodness.
Dark Chocolate Truffles with Wheat Germ
These truffles are made with dark chocolate rolled in wheat germ instead of cocoa for a nutty richer depth of flavor.
- 8 ounces good quality bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons Kretschmer Original Toasted Wheat Germ (or Kretschmer Honey Crunch Wheat Germ) ·
- Line baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. ·
- Place chopped chocolate in medium bowl. ·
- Heat cream to gentle boil in small heavy-duty saucepan.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate.
- Stir until mixture is smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Refrigerate 25 to 30 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to form into balls. ·
- Using very small ice cream scoop or melon baller, drop rounds of chocolate onto cookie sheet. Shape or roll into balls; coat with wheat germ. (Note: If chocolate becomes too soft to shape, return it to refrigerator until it is cold enough to manage.) ·
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Remove at least 15 minutes before serving to bring to room temperature.
For more information about wheat germ and healthy recipes visit .mywheatgerm.com.