Spice up your home with enchanting holiday décor that delight all five senses — sight, sound, taste, touch and smell. These creative wreaths, garland strands and centerpieces are a sensory feast that will delight and impress your special guests.
1. Fresh Pine Trimming Décor: When you purchase your Christmas tree, save the branches cut off of the bottom. Trim the longest branches, and bundle the branches together at their base with wire. Tie pretty gold, green or red ribbon over the wire, and decorate the branches with ornaments. Hang the pine trimmings from a door or window. Not only does this inexpensive decoration look fabulous, but it also smells divine.
2. Jingle Bells: What’s that sound? Why, it’s Santa’s sleigh! Jingle bells are versatile holiday decorations. Hang them from doorknobs and add to wreaths. You can also use them as festive wine charms or gussy up chair ties.
4. Holiday Candy and Cookies: Treats not only taste good — they look and smell delicious, too. Display holiday candies and cookies in mason jars, glass vases or baskets.
5. DIY Pomanders: Scented pomanders are clove-studded fruits displayed in glass dishes or hung from mantels. Pomanders are fun to make, add an organic element to your decorations and release an earthy, spice scent. To make one, use a wooden skewer to press whole cloves into the skin of a citrus fruit (grapefruit or orange works best). Covering the entire fruit with cloves keeps the pomander fresh longer.
6. Scented Centerpieces: Holiday-scented candles cast a warm, inviting glow around the room. Try Febreze candles in the Falling Leaves, Cranberry Cider, Winter Frost or Glistening Pine scent. Surround the candles with evergreen, pinecones, mistletoe or berries on branches. Find more from aromatechscent.com.
7. Feel-Good Garland: Use burlap bows, velvet ribbons, gold beads, popcorn and pinecones to add texture and visual interest to a traditional garland, or check out this guide on making eucalyptus garland.
Caitlin Boyle is blogger, motivational speaker and author of the book Healthy Tipping Point: A Powerful Program for a Stronger, Happier You. She helps her husband run a holistic health clinic in Charlotte, N.C.