Exposure to the suntriggers an increase in the production of cells known as melanocytes that boost melanin on your skin significantly leading to a duller complexion. Patches of dark colorations on some skin surface areas are known as the dark spots, brown spots, age spots or liver spots. Dark spots usually occur on areas of the skin that get exposed to sunlight such as the neck, forehead, back, shoulders, chest or the hands. Other causes of dark spots include genetics and aging. Stress, weak liver, pregnancy and vitamins deficiency can also contribute to this skin condition. Though the spots are not harmful, some people don’t feel comfortable whenever they occur. Here are some natural ways you can reduce their appearance:
1. Lemon Juice: credit to its strong bleaching properties, lemon juice is one of the cheapest solutions for reducing the appearance of dark spots. It is also helpful in maintaining a soft, clear and attractive skin. Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area on your face and leave it to dry for 30 minutes. Rinse off with cold water. If your skin is the sensitive type, add a little water to the lemon juice before you apply. You can also add lemon juice to sugar to make a paste and apply on the dark spot before rinsing with water after 30 minutes.
2. Buttermilk: it has lactic acid which is great exfoliant for removing blemishes such as dark spots without causing skin dryness. Apply buttermilk on the dark spot using a cotton ball. Leave it to settle for a while and then rinse with water. Add some lemon juice if you are prone to acne or if your skin is oily. For best results, repeat either of the two processes twice every day.
3. Castor Oil: it comes with strong healing properties ideal for dealing with age spots and brown spots. You can combine it with vitamin E oil, coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil to get rid of dark spot. Use a cotton ball to apply castor oil on the affected area, massage for a few minutes, leave it for a few hours and then wash it off. Repeat this process every morning and at night to reduce the appearance of dark spot and get an even skin tone.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar: it happens to be an effective remedy for various skin conditions including age spots and brown spots. It accelerates the drying and fading of dark spots on the face. Simply dilute equal amounts of vinegar with water and add some honey if you prefer. Apply the solution in the affected area and rinse it off after a few minutes. Repeat this daily for a few days until you get the desired results.
5. Aloe Vera: this happens to be one of the herbs that have been used for centuries for medicinal purposes. It has strong healing properties and helps in skin regeneration. This way, it diminishes dark spots especially if they are causes by exposure to sunlight. Simply rub Aloe Vera gel on the dark spots and leave it to dry for 30 minutes before rinsing off with water. Repeat this twice every for better results. If you can’t find fresh Aloe Vera gel, go for Aloe Vera juice.
6. Sandalwood: other than being a tough antiseptic agent, Sandalwood happens to be strong anti-aging properties for dealing with age spots and reduce hyperpigmentation. You can make a homemade pack using Sandalwood powder and rose water plus lemon juice or glycerin. Apply the mixture on the spot and leave it to dry naturally before rinsing with water. Repeat at least 3 times every week.
7. Papaya: it contains alpha hydroxyl acids (AHA) enzymes which promote exfoliation reducing the appearance of age spots, acne and other blemishes from your skin to give a clearer brighter look. Simply rub a tablespoon of fresh grated papaya on the dark spot and leave it to settle for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Repeat the procedure twice every day until you are satisfied with the results.
8. Horseradish: credit to its skin lightening properties, horseradish is a great herb for removing age spots and freckles to leave your skin clear and spotless. Simply make a horseradish paste, apply it to the dark spot and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse it off and repeat the process a couple of times every week until you are content with the results.
Dark spots on your face can be so disturbing because hardly can they be concealed all the time. Fortunately, there is no need to spend a fortune to get rid of them. There are natural inexpensive and easy to use homecare practices that can diminish or fade them away in a convenient way. Try these natural ways to fade the appearance of the dark spot on your face at the comfort of your home. If no improvements, try the wide range of skin brightening creams available in the market.