The last month of summer has arrived and here in Chicago the August heat and humidity can be brutal. Our air conditioners are running most of the day and the kids are home for the summer. With Christmas just months away us parents need to find ways to save more money. One way to shrink our budget is by conserving energy. Teaching our kids about energy conservation will help them learn the importance of taking care of our earth and saving money. Here are some great tips on how to teach your kids how to conserve energy.
1. Instead of running the air conditioner all day long install ceiling fans and encourage your children to use them.
2. Limit your childrens’ computer and television time and make sure they turn them both off when not in use.
3. Tell your kids to turn their bedroom lights off during the day. Lighting accounts for about 15% of a typical residential utility bill.
4. If your children are constantly opening the door to go outside during the summer months, turn off your air conditioner during the day.
5. Teach your kids about conserving water by turning the faucet off while brushing their teeth and taking shorter showers.
6. You can also teach your kids about conservation by using creative methods to reduce, reuse and recycle. For example, you can turn a cardboard paper towel roll into a telescope.
7. Talk to your kids about how they can conserve energy.
8. If your children are old enough to do chores, teach them to fill the washer and dryer with a full load of clothes instead of a small load.
9. Play games with your children that teach energy conservation. A simple Google search of “energy conservation games for kids,” will give you a great list of ideas.
10. Teach by example. We are our children’s first teachers. They learn best by watching us. Make sure you are conserving energy on a daily basis.
- Do you turn out your lights during the day or before you exit a room in your home?
- Do you reuse shopping bags?
- Do you recycle?
- Is your home energy efficient?
Direct Energy wants to help you save money on your electricity, conserve energy and #LiveBrighter. They have been working harder and thinking smarter to provide tools and technology consumers can use to understand their energy usage and #LiveBrighter.
Direct Energy is the only energy provider to be a part of Plenti!
What is Plenti? Plenti lets you earn points at one place and use them at another, all within a single rewards program so that keeping track of your rewards is simple.
If you sign up for Direct Energy’s Plenti program as a new customer you will be able to earn 1,000 plenti points. If you are already a Direct Energy customer you can also earn 1,000 Plenti points when you sign up for Plenti and link it to your Direct Energy account.
Visit www.directenergy.com/plenti for more information on Direct Energy’s Plenti points program. Sign up for Direct Energy today and you will receive a $75 pre-paid gift card Use promo code LIVEBRIGHTER75 – valid until August 15th!
If you would like to receive notifications about healthy living tips, health news, parenting and posts, please subscribe via email and follow us on Facebook, Pinterest , Bloglovin , Google+, and Twitter.
Subscribe to our Newsletter. Join our Social Network