If you want to eat healthier, or are on a diet, the first hurdle you might encounter are cravings for food that is not helping you to reach those goals. There are plenty of amazing recipes online for healthy snacks, but not everyone has a bulging fridge with pre-made delicious treats. Honestly, who has time for that?
How Snacking Can Be Good
- Snacks keep your blood sugar stable and your metabolism going. So keep on snacking healthy.
- Do not skip meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and take approximately two healthy snacks in between.
- Before you begin your snack ask yourself first whether you are hungry or just craving.
- Drink a glass of water and wait ten minutes before you start your snack.
- Snack in the correct portions. It’s just a snack. So limit a handful of nuts to a handful.
- Drink herbal tea, water with fresh lemon, lime or mint, homemade iced tea and freshly squeezed juices.
1. Fruits: apples, bananas, grapes, clementines, fresh pineapple, avocado, etc.
2. Vegetables: cucumbers, peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes etc.
3. Dried fruits: dates, apricots, cranberries, blueberries etc.
4. Raw unsalted nuts: almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, etc.
6. Rice cakes and whole grain crackers and organic granola bars
8. Boiled egg
10. Dark raw organic chocolate (+ 90% cocoa)
My Snack List:
2. Avocado with Sea Salt
Cut an avocado in half, sprinkle salt on it and eat it! Avocados are not always ripe when you buy them, so here it is a question of buy, wait until they are ripe and then make sure you eat on time.Very tasty! You can also slice the avocado on a cracker.
Mixed dried fruit
A tin with mixed dried fruit supplies a tasty and varied snack! Make sure it’s a good mix and doesn’t contain too many raisins. Go for sun-dried (as opposed to chemically dried with sulphur) organic fruits like currants, dates, prunes, figs, mango, apple, coconut, apricots and cranberries.
Nuts are a nice addition for a snack and fill you up easily. My favorite is homemade roasted almonds or pecans with Celtic salt. Yummy!
A boiled egg can greatly help to hold you over. Good fats and proteins provide a full feeling.
My favorite smoothie is just a banana, coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of almond paste, cinnamon and ice cubes. So delicious, and very filling!!
So tasty. My absolute nr. 1 dark chocolate is the raw “Deep Dark” bar from Gnosis chocolate.
Cheap and still super tasty.
I love a rice cake with hummus, or to dip into hummus with sticks of cucumber, pepper and carrot. Incredibly tasty and fast!
I did not include this in the shopping list, because it can be hard to come by. But for me it’s one of the best ways to quench that craving feeling. A glass of raw milk, raw yogurt, raw kefir or a cube of raw cheese can greatly complement and give you just that little bit extra to sustain you for a couple of hours longer.
The First Aid Snack Kit for Your Bag
If you always carry these snacks with you, you will be less tempted to buy something else:
An apple or banana
A box with some nuts and dried fruit
A bar of dark (raw) chocolate
A bottle of (fruit-infused) water
Last Tip: Plan Your Candy Moment