I will never forget the day my son had his first allergic reaction to food. He was only 6 months old and I had just started feeding him baby food. It upset his stomach and he threw up multiple times that day. Instead of running a pin prick allergy test the doctor suggested that we try an elimination diet to figure out what food caused the reaction. It turned out bananas was causing him to throw up. For us, the simple solution was to avoid bananas. He was a happy and healthy baby for a couple more months, until he started getting this mysterious rash.
Again we tried an elimination diet and learned that he had to avoid several different foods to prevent the rash. The good news is that today at age 8, he has outgrown all but one of his food allergies and he is a happy and healthy little boy. Not all kids are as fortunate as my son. Some children live with multiple food allergies for the rest of their lives.
If you have a young child with food allergies there is a great book that can help you teach your child about his allergies, and let him know that he is not alone. “BLUE the monkey who was allergic to bananas,” written by Katia Dabdoub Hechema and illustrated by Oswald Iten, is a beautiful story about a howler monkey named Blue and how he learns to cope with his food allergy to bananas.
Parents and teachers can use this book as a great tool to prepare kids for allergy tests, or to just educate them about food allergies. I love the colorful illustrations and the positive story in the book. It is recommended for children ages 2-8. You can purchase “BLUE the monkey who was allergic to bananas,”
on Amazon.com or wherever books are sold. For more information about Blue the Monkey visit bluethemonkey.com.
One Healthy Moms Magazine reader can win a copy of “Blue the Monkey Who Was Allergic To Bananas.” All you have to do to enter is like “Blue The Monkey Who Was Allergic To Bananas,” on Facebook, follow “Blue The Monkey Who Was Allergic To Bananas,” on Twitter and leave a comment with your e-mail address at the bottom of this post. This contest is open to U.S and Canadian residents only 18+ and ends on February 5, 2016 at 10 am CST . A winner will be chosen from random.org out of the comments received and will be contacted via e-mail or social media at the end of the contest.
For extra entries: (please leave a separate comment for each additional entry)
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Instagram instagram.com/cascia_thehealthymomsmag
- Get the free guide, Simple Meal Planning Tips for Busy Families
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Pinterest www.pinterest.com/casciatalbert
- Like the Healthy Moms Magazine on Facebook facebook.com/TheHealthyMomsMag
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on Twitter twitter.com/cltalbert
- Add Cascia Talbert to your Google+ Circles
- Share this post on Google+
- Like or share this post on Facebook
- Share this post on Twitter
- Pin this post on Pinterest
- Subscribe to our Healthy Living Newsletter
- Blog about this contest or our website and leave a link to your blog post in your comment.
- Add our button to your blog or website. Grab a code HERE.
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on BlogLovin
- Subscribe to our RSS.
*Disclosure: I received a copy of the book, “BLUE the monkey who was allergic to bananas,” in exchange for this review. All opinions are accurate and 100% mine.