My mother is a second generation Italian American. Our family meals while I was growing up usually included some sort of pasta and my grandmother was a wonderful cook. I enjoy serving Italian dishes to my children and am passing down family recipes. Italian cuisine can be healthy and most of it uses fresh ingredients like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, beans, legumes, dairy, seafood and poultry.
Amy Riolo and award-winning author, chef, cooking show host, cooking instructor and Mediterranean expert has released a new cookbook endorsed by the American Diabetes Association. “Italian Diabetes Cookbook: Delicious and Healthful Dishes from Venice to Sicily and Beyond
,” brings together a wonderful collection of authentic and naturally healthy Italian recipes.
The book contains 150 easy-to-prepare Italian dishes that your whole family will enjoy. Each recipe is also paired with a wine and an interesting Italian living tradition.
Some of the recipes in the book include:
- Ricotta, Grilled eggplant, and Fresh Mint Bruschetta
- Whole-Wheat Cracker Rings with Black Pepper and Fennel Seeds
- Roman-Style Rice and Herb-Stuffed Tomatoes
- Whole-Wheat Ziti with Goat Ragu
- Swordfish with Olives, Capers, Herbs and Tomatoes
- Red Pepper, Yellow Tomato, and Artichoke Salad
- Espresso Panna Cotta
- Tuscan Seafood Stew
Inspiration for the Italian Diabetes Cookbook came to Amy when she visited her ancestral hometown of Crotone, Italy, for the first time. This is a great cookbook not only for diabetics but for families who are interested in learning more about the Italian culture and learn how to cook healthy authentic Italian meals.
About the Author
Amy Riolo is an award-winning author, chef, cooking show host, cooking instructor, and Mediterranean expert. Her frequent appearances on television and radio programs include Fox TV, CBS, Montgomery and Fairfax County TV, Nile TV, The Travel Channel, Martha Stewart Living Radio, WHYY, and Abu Dhabi Television. She appears weekly in ninety-second cooking videos titled “Culture of Cuisine,” which air on nationally syndicated news shows on 28 different channels across the United States, totaling a reach of over 223 million people. Her work has also appeared in numerous print media, including USA Today, Cooking Light magazine, The Washington Post, CNN.com, The Wall Street Journal, Gulf News, Popular Anthropology Magazine, The UAE National, and international newspapers and hundreds of blogs. She is also the author of noted culinary/cultural blog Amyriolo.blogspot.com. She currently teaches approximately 80 hands-on cooking classes per year, with more than 3,500 students annually at Living Social, Sur la Table, and Open Kitchen in Washington, D.C. Internationally, she gives classes in Italy, Egypt, and UAE.
About the American Diabetes Association
The American Diabetes Association® is leading the fight to STOP DIABETES® and its deadly consequences for those affected by diabetes. The Association funds research to prevent, cure, and manage diabetes; delivers services to hundreds of communities; provides objective and credible information; and gives voice to those denied their rights because of diabetes. Founded in 1940, its mission is to prevent and cure diabetes and to improve the lives of all people affected by diabetes. For more information please call the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES (1-800-342-2383) or visit www.diabetes.org. Information from both of these sources is available in English and Spanish.
THE ITALIAN DIABETES COOKBOOK is available at ShopDiabetes.org, Amazon.com, in bookstores nationwide, or by calling 1-800-232-6733.
One lucky Healthy Moms Magazine reader can win a copy of The Italian Diabetes Cookbook. All you have to do is leave us a comment with your e-mail address at the end of this article to enter. This contest is open to United States and Canadian residents only and ends on February 29, 2016 at 10 am CST. A winner will be chosen from Random.org from the number of comments received. The winner will be notified via e-mail or social media instant message at the end of the contest. No purchase necessary to enter.
For extra entries: (please leave a separate comment for each additional entry)
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Instagram instagram.com/cascia_thehealthymomsmag
- Get the free guide, Simple Meal Planning Tips for Busy Families
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Pinterest www.pinterest.com/casciatalbert
- Like the Healthy Moms Magazine on Facebook facebook.com/TheHealthyMomsMag
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on Twitter twitter.com/cltalbert
- Add Cascia Talbert to your Google+ Circles
- Share this post on Google+
- Like or share this post on Facebook
- Share this post on Twitter
- Pin this post on Pinterest
- Subscribe to our Healthy Living Newsletter
- Blog about this contest or our website and leave a link to your blog post in your comment.
- Add our button to your blog or website. Grab a code HERE.
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on BlogLovin
- Subscribe to our RSS.
*Disclosure: I received a copy of “The Italian Diabetes Cookbook : Delicious and Healthful Dishes from Venice to Sicily and Beyond,” by Amy Riolo in exchange for this review. All opinions are accurate and 100% mine.