Type to search

dental health health oral care

My Favorite Oral Hygiene Technique Is Blotting


I learned a toothbrush is all that’s needed to disrupt the sticky “plaque” on teeth. This weakly bonded microscopic compost is bacteria, growing on food remnants, packed between the teeth and into the gum line during chewing. Today 80% of the decay and gum diseases are found there. The other 20% is located on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. Decay is rarely seen on the side surfaces of teeth. These open faces are self-cleansing; no food can stick to these surfaces. The lips, cheeks, tongue and fibrous foods clean these exposed parts of our teeth.

Blotting is a Great Oral Hygiene Technique

“Harmony” is Nature’s law. All life forms live for each other and dental diseases did not exist in the past and does not exist for wildlife today. The reason is balance, which is constantly created. Evolutionary creatures adapt to their natural environments. An animal’s body has immunity and the saliva maintains the synergistic harmony of cooperation between the decomposers, the bacteria in an animal’s mouth, and their oral tissues. The problems for us, we are no longer evolutionary creatures. Our artificial lifestyle of processed food changes the genetic equation and the decomposers are growing at accelerated rates. Huge amounts of plaque with proportional acidic waste are a bacterial side effect. Our saliva cannot keep up and an imbalance is manufactured with disease consequences.

After each meal, remove leftover food from our oral tissues. It’s time for oral hygiene to come out of its closet, out from behind closed doors. “Blotting” is a technique developed by this kids dentist, Dr. Joseph E. Phillips. The purpose is to remove plaque where it is mostly found. It is not a tooth brushing method; brushing bends the bristles of a brush. Blotting aims the bristles directly, straight at and into the plaque. It is done with a “dry” toothbrush. It is not a complicated method; in fact, it is the simplest one to understand. Toronto dentists recommend it too.

Related  Fun and Creative Recipe Box Teaches Your Kids About Healthy Snacking


Create a consistent routine; do the same thing every time. With my right hand, I start with the upper back right teeth. I blot, push and tap the bristles directly at where the tooth and gum meet. With a slight angle, towards the gums and spaces between the teeth, I move one tooth at a time to the front. I switch to my left hand and do the left side. I move to the bottom teeth and do the same thing from left to right. Then I do the inside surfaces of the teeth. Some people clean the tongue, inner cheek and lip tissues first. I clean them with the brush after I finish the teeth. If I am at home or the office, I finish with a rinse of salty water. I also clean my brushes with the same unheated sea salt “salty” water. Personally, I think toothbrushes need to be in a glass on top of the dinner table.

What do you think?

Website http://www.thefertileground.com


Was this article helpful? If not search the Healthy Moms Mag community forum to find answers to your question. Our community is free to join or you can browse and post as a guest.

Search Our Community

Link to this post:

<a href="https://healthymomsmagazine.net/2016/06/favorite-oral-hygiene-technique-blotting.html">My Favorite Oral Hygiene Technique Is Blotting</a>

0/5 (0 Reviews)
Dr. T.K. Stone

Dr. T. K. Stone fell in love with the dental arts as a dental laboratory technician in the US Army. Working with dentists inspired him to become one. Finishing very high in his class, he joined the faculty and later specialized at the same dental school. In private practice, he focused on TMJ disorders and complicated restorative rehabilitation cases. He was also invited to teach at another dental school. As a professor in the 1980's and 1990's, he published articles in health magazines on the mind and body connections, relating to the dental health of the teeth, gums and jaw joints (TMJ). The 1960's were a very inspiring decade for Dr. Stone as a teenager. Not only his passion for the dental arts was born, his other passion in life, mind and body health, flourished throughout these years from his ninth to nineteenth birthdays. His book, "The Fertile Ground" published in 2011, summarizes an understanding about this life. Our planet Earth, and Mother Nature, intends a healthy existence for all its creatures, free of the diseases commonly seen in today's humanity. This unhealthy lifestyle doesn't exist in our evolutionary past. Tooth decay and all the other degenerative diseases are not seen in our world's wildlife, not now or in the past. We are all related within the genetics of Nature's "Tree of Life." We all live and survive with the same natural laws, under the same sun. We humans take an unnatural direction, which has consequences. Why? Purchase "The Fertile Ground" by Dr. T.K. Stone on Amazon Today.