Getting stressed out in today’s society is very easy for moms. Working moms and stay at home moms alike all have a great deal of responsibility, worry, anxiety and stress. With each little life we have to provide for and nurture come new struggles. Mom’s are constantly shaming each other and judging each other. When we should be supporting each other, and building each other up.
The fact remains we all have bills to pay, and we all have mouths to feed. Sometimes when things get tough it’s hard to see the silver lining. We have to remember it is normal to feel overwhelmed at times, but how we handle it speaks volumes of our character. I have outlined some tools I use when times get tough to help me get through and recenter my mind, body, and soul. Sometimes we just need to take a step back and follow one or all of these tips:
Tips for stressed out moms:
- Try deep breathing exercises
- Put on calming music
- Take a bath
- Call a sitter
- Pass the kids to dad
- If you can, go sit by the ocean and breathe with the waves
- Take a walk
- Count to 10
- Prioritize a list of the stresses you have. Come up with a plan of action for each one in order of importance. Lastly, follow your plan and start crossing things off your list as you finish them. This will leave you feeling accomplished
- Don’t sweat the small stuff or the things you cannot change, rest easy knowing God has a plan
- Hug your kids tighter, especially if they are part of the stress. You never know when it may be the last time
- Talk to a friend, a neighbor, a church mate, or your significant other about your worries
- Ask for help
- Accept help
- Do something nice for someone less fortunate
It is important for us moms to stay healthy. Part of staying healthy is managing the stress in our lives. I for one, strive to be healthy. I follow these tips when I am feeling overwhelmed, or stressed to keep my mind healthy. When I do, I am able to think clearer and act smarter about what I really need to worry about. However, we must not forget that we shouldn’t have anything to worry about when we give our fears to God.
What do you do when you are stressed out? Do you get stressed out easily? Do you act in fear or act out of love?