August is Breastfeeding Awareness Month
August is such a special month for me. Not only is it the month my last daughter was born, but it is also breastfeeding awareness month. My last daughter was the only one of my 3 biological children that I was able to nurse solid for 6 months. I wish it was longer. But I am so grateful for the bonding experience I was able to share with her.
Due to the month being dedicated to breastfeeding awareness I wanted to share some fun facts with you.
- That a mother exclusively breastfeeds her baby for at least the first 6 months of the infants life
- That breastfeeding begin within one hour of the child‘s birth
- Bottles and other sucking devices be avoided
- Nurse on demand
- You have a support team to assist you in your breastfeeding goals
- You know your rights at your place of employment
- Understanding how beneficial breastfeeding is for both mama and baby
To All The Mama’s
I want to say this to all the mama’s in the world. I know that some of you can’t breastfeed for one reason or another. Don’t ever let that make you feel like any less of a mother. You are a great mother, doing the best you can, with the support you have. And to the mama’s that are or can breastfeed. What you are doing is amazing, and beautiful. You are nourishing a life right from your very body. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel ashamed of that. Don’t ever feel like you need to cover up for someone else’s uncomfortability. Stand strong, and stand proud. But no matter what mama you are, you are fierce. Don’t let anyone tell you different.