Losing baby weight can be HARD. Before I got pregnant, I ate and did as I pleased, but rarely worked out. I was in-shape but I wasn’t fit. After gaining 40 pounds while pregnant with my daughter, Madison, I knew I wanted to step up my workout game to lose the baby weight.
While many moms are anxious to lose their baby weight, it is very important to be medically cleared before starting any workout regime. Whether you have a natural or c-section delivery, it was very important to let your body heal and receive doctor’s approval before putting any extra stress on your body. Depending on the type of delivery, moms should wait 6-12 weeks before beginning any workout regime.
It is very important to start slow with any postpartum workout. Your body just did the most amazing thing by bringing a new life into the world! Give it a break! However, there are several types of workouts that are good to start with.
- Walking – Everyone has to start somewhere! It’s better to start with something easy and work your way up to more intense exercises. Building your endurance is key. Walking at a fast(er) pace still burns calories and raises your heartrate. This is also an exercise you can bring baby along for!
- Postpartum Yoga – This is a great beginner exercise. Postpartum yoga is great because it is very low impact and helps build strength so that you can attempt more intensive workouts later. Building endurance and strength is key.
- PiYo – This is also very low impact but it’s also a GREAT workout! PiYo works the entire body while sculpting, strengthening and stretching.
- Swimming – Swimming is a great way to work your whole body. It’s also easy on joints and your pelvic floor, which is key in any postpartum exercise.
- HIIT – many of these workouts can be modified for low impact. It’s important to stick with low impact workouts while repairing your pelvic floor or c-section scar. HIIT is one of my favorite workouts because you burn tons of calories, but it is something that needs to be done after you build up your endurance.
Don’t have time to go to the gym? No worries! Many of these workouts can be found on pinterest or youtube. Even if you dedicate 30 minutes a day to your workouts, you will see results! As a new mom, I know it’s hard to dedicate the time when there are a million other things to do. However, we are only given one body and we need to do our best to preserve and take care of what we have been given. It’s amazing what we can accomplish when we make up our mind to achieve a certain goal. These are all amazing workouts to help you achieve your postpartum weight loss goals.