Too Busy to Cook a Meal?
I know how important it is to feed my children healthy and nutritious meals, but as a busy mom of five special needs kids, sometimes I just can’t. Between after school activities, doctors appointments, therapy appointments, music lessons and sports, finding time to prepare a family meal does not happen every single night. Meal planning helps me stay organized and know what I am fixing for dinner ahead of time. But, for those nights when I don’t have time to cook I wish there was an easier solution other than leftovers and microwave meals.
Well, now there is! Recently I had the opportunity to take a look at the book, “50 Freezer Meals : Easy Dinners for the Busy Family,” by Micah Klug. Micah has put together a simple recipe book with healthy kid-friendly meals that you can make ahead of time and place in your freezer to cook up later. With this book you will not be too busy to cook.
My children are picky eaters. One will only eat sweet foods and dairy, one is allergic to tomatoes, one will only eat pizza and pasta and my daughter prefers meat on a bone. Pleasing everyone in my family at dinner time is next to impossible. But I know that I can find a freezer meal by Micah Klug that all my kids will enjoy.
Here’s a good one that you can try:
Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound of short pasta of your choice
- 6 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 5 cups milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup crushed buttery crackers
For a non-freezer meal: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than the package directions recommend. Drain and return to the pot.
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisking constantly. Gradually add in milk, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually stir in cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Add sauce to pasta, and stir until mixed well. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish and sprinkle with crackers. Bake until golden, about 15-20 minutes.
To freeze: Write expiration date, baking instructions and name of the recipe on a sheet of aluminum foil. Prepare meal according to directions but do not bake. Assemble meal in a disposable casserole-sized cookware. Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in freezer. Cover and seal tightly with aluminum foil. Place in freezer. This meal can be safely frozen for up to 4 months.
For a freezer meal: The night prior to cooking, remove meal from freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator. After ingredients have thawed, place a new layer of aluminum foil over casserole and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the center is warmed. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden as needed. (source: “50 Freezer Meals : Easy Dinners for the Busy Family,” by Micah Klug. Page 66.)
Too Busy to Cook? Then You Need to Get This Book
I know my kids would love her mac and cheese. Here are a few more fantastic recipes from Micah Klug:
- Crock-Pot White Chicken Chili
- Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Crock-Pot Chicken Dumplings
- Tex-Mex Beef Enchiladas
- Pizza Pockets
- Crock-Pot Ham and Potato Soup
- Freezer Stir-Fry
- Breakfast Burritos
“50 Freezer Meals : Easy Dinners for the Busy Family,” by Micah Klug can be purchased on Amazon or anywhere books are sold.
*Disclosure: I received a copy of “50 Freezer Meals : Easy Dinners for the Busy Family,” by Micah Klug in exchange for this review. All opinions are accurate and 100% mine.
One lucky Healthy Moms Magazine reader can win a copy of the book, “50 Freezer Meals: Easy Dinners for the Busy Family,” by Micah Klug. All you need to do is leave us a comment at the end of this article with your e-mail address. This contest is open to US residents only 18+ and ends on December 16, 2016 at 9 pm CST. No purchase necessary. A winner will be chosen from Random.org out of the number of comments received and will be notified via e-mail or social media instant message at the end of the contest.
For extra entries: (please leave a separate comment for each additional entry)
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Instagram instagram.com/cascia_thehealthymomsmag
- Get the 14 day free Trial of the Healthy Moms Magazine on Kindle
- Follow Cascia Talbert on Pinterest www.pinterest.com/casciatalbert
- Like the Healthy Moms Magazine on Facebook facebook.com/TheHealthyMomsMag
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on Twitter twitter.com/cltalbert
- Add Cascia Talbert to your Google+ Circles
- Share this post on Google+
- Like or share this post on Facebook
- Share this post on Twitter
- Pin this post on Pinterest
- Join our Facebook Group
- Join our Google+ Community
- Subscribe to our Healthy Living Newsletter
- Blog about this contest or our website and leave a link to your blog post in your comment.
- Add our button to your blog or website. Grab a code HERE.
- Add your blog to our free blog directory
- Visit our Bookstore
- Give this post a star rating (found directly below the e-mail subscription form).
- Follow the Healthy Moms Magazine on BlogLovin
- Subscribe to our RSS.