How Does Holistic Nutrition Benefit the Body and the Mind?
With our hectic lifestyles, our tendency to grab meals on the go and our reliance on heavily processed foods, it is no wonder that lifestyle diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, chronic pain, etc., are on the rise in the United States and worldwide. This is where holistic nutrition can be of huge help, offering not just physical but also psychological benefits. Holistic nutrition can also lead to an overall improvement in one’s sense of well-being, as well as quality of life.
Traditional medicine does not really consider nutrition to be among the primary causes of various health issues. However, research has overwhelmingly proven that what we put into our body can have long-lasting effects. There are great options for such nutritional counseling in Houston, such as the Alternative Health Management clinic, which offers customized programs for digestive health in Houston. This is the greatest advantage of holistic nutrition – it is personalized, and it gives you practical and easy-to-implement tools to bring about a positive change.
Advantages of Holistic Nutrition
The part of our body that needs our prioritized attention is the digestive tract. Houston-based holistic nutritionists say that our bad eating habits give rise to various digestive problems, such as constipation, gas, bloating, pain, diarrhea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and more. In fact, digestive issues can have far reaching effects on our immunity, weight, and allergies, while also impacting our stress management and heart health. Here’s a look at the major benefits you stand to gain by opting for holistic nutrition offered at alternative health management clinics in Houston:
- Disease prevention
- Weight management and weight loss
- Higher energy levels
- Improved skin health, including skin tone and texture
- Balanced levels of blood sugar
- Reduced blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Improved immunity
- Improved Mood
- Improved Digestion
- Better Sleep
Prevention & Management of Chronic Conditions
In addition, digestive health professionals in Houston believe that several types of chronic ailments can be alleviated and prevented by focusing on a holistic diet. These include:
- Heart Disease
- High Blood Pressure
- Tumor Growth
Overall Health Benefits
According to the University & Colleges of Natural Health, holistic nutrition strengthens the entire body, including the muscles, bones and blood. Vital organs, such as the heart, liver, stomach and intestines, are also strengthened with this diet. A holistic diet has also proven to support the immune system, while providing psychological benefits like stress relief, prevention of memory loss and relief from various other mental conditions, including depression.
The overall result of increased energy and improvement in the sense of well-being means that you will feel physically and mentally great.
How to Get Started
The best way to bring about a positive change in your diet is to visit alternative health management centers in Houston that have professionals working for digestive and overall health through holistic medicine. In the meantime, you can start off making a positive change on your own by following these rules:
- Eat Whole Foods: In fact, eat as many raw foods as possible. So, when you are craving a snack, consider apples, carrots, celery, bananas, avocado, melon, grapes or any other fruits and vegetables that you can eat raw and unprocessed.
- Choose Organic Alternatives: This will help you stay away from herbicides, pesticides, hormones and antibiotics that are often sprayed on the fruits and vegetables that you consume.
- Limit or Eliminate Sugar: Processed sugar has many health risks. Therefore, consider replacing it with natural sweeteners or food that is naturally sweet if you have a sweet tooth.
- Drink Lots of Water: For a long time now, a minimum of eight glasses of water has been recommended per day. This supports digestive health, while flushing toxins out of the body.
- Limit Salt: High salt intake is a primary cause of hypertension. You can lower the amount of sodium or salt intake drastically by simply eliminating processed foods from your diet.
- Replace Flour with Whole Grains: This will give you the much needed fiber to improve digestion, while preventing constipation, gas and bloating.
A holistic diet does not mean that you miss out on your favorite foods. It is all about going natural, while staying focused on how you prepare and consume food.